Torrance Education Foundation
Our Executive Director is retiring! This opening is active now and will remain open until filled. Please note application submission deadline is July 31, 2019.
The Torrance Education Foundation (TEF) seeks an Executive Director to lead fundraising and community service efforts that directly impact the lives of Torrance Unified School District (TUSD) students and staff.
Torrance Education Foundation aligns with TUSD goals and works closely with the community to ensure our students have ample opportunities to be creative in the learning process, and our teachers have the resources to provide our kids with inspiration, experimentation, validation of their curiosity, and new ways to excel and advance in their pursuit of knowledge.
PRIMARY PURPOSE AND JOB SUMMARY:
The Executive Director is Chief Executive Officer of Torrance Education Foundation. The Executive Director reports to the TEF Executive Committee and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
– Bachelor’s Degree required
– Master’s Degree +/or CFRE Designation a plus
– Successful track record of fundraising, including memberships, events, major gifts, sponsorships, grants and grant writing, and stewarding donor relations.
– Minimum of five years’ successful experience running nonprofit entities
– Overall operations of nonprofit entities, including 501(c)3 rules and procedures
– All aspects of fundraising: membership, major gifts, sponsorships, grants and grant writing, and planned giving
– Personnel, volunteer, program, and event management
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Board Governance: Work with the Board to fulfill TEF’s mission
- Lead TEF in a manner that supports and guides the mission as defined by the Board of Directors;
- Effectively and timely communicate with the board all information necessary for the board to function properly and make informed decisions;
- Work collaboratively with TEF Board to set revenue goals from fundraising and enterprise programs, and establish an annual budget of appropriate expense.
- Attend all meetings of the TEF Board and Executive Committee (unless excused from attendance by mutual agreement or at the request of the Board).
- Organization Mission, Strategy, and Advocacy: Work with TEF Board and staff to ensure that TEF’s mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- In partnership with TUSD and aligned with District goals, establish and achieve strategic goals;
- Identify and engage community business owners and leaders to support TEF;
- Prepare and present an annual TEF report to the District;
- Foster active community support and develop revenue, goodwill, and gifts exclusively for the benefit of the District;
- Establish and execute a comprehensive communication strategy including participation in community outreach, social media, parent communication and other marketing initiatives;
- Foster relationships with other support groups such as booster clubs and PTAs / PTSAs.
- Financial Performance and Viability: Develop and manage resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Implement and sustain fundraising programs that support the TEF mission;
- Oversee revenues, expenses, and ensure effective administration of summer school enterprise;
- Effectively oversee and manage TEF’s books, records, documents, procedures and practices, and insurance as required by law and in an organized condition;
- Effectively manage an accounting system to ensure financial activities are carried out and reported in accordance with generally accepted business and accounting practices.
- Organization Operations: Oversee and sustain systems to ensure effective, efficient, comprehensive TEF operations.
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility over TEF’s operations and expenditure of funds;
- Manage TEF personnel and volunteers providing services in coordination with the District and in a manner consistent with the policies and procedures of the District;
- Produce and publish mass communications with e-mail blasts, press releases, and other materials consistent with marketing campaign and strategy;
- Document the presence of TEF at events, conferences, and speaking engagements;
- Oversee the TEF website and donor management database.
The ideal candidate will be:
- an enthusiastic, versatile and persistent fundraiser with a passion for building community relationships, to support instructional innovation that drives academic improvement and excellence.
- a creative visionary who is passionately focused on effecting change and has the ability to merge data and fact with intuition, imagination, and innovation in an effort to realize the possibilities rather than be content with the probabilities;
- a dedicated professional who creates a supportive environment by modeling and expecting accountability and responsibility; who exemplifies ethics; who accepts and values the differences of others, and who has a sense of human wisdom, courage, and compassion;
- an effective communicator with exceptional public relations and interpersonal skills, who is open minded and perceptive to the needs and expectations of students, school and district staff, parents, and members of the community, and who, through the art of collaboration and creative problem solving, cultivates cohesiveness;
- an inspiring catalyst who motivates and empowers others to become leaders and risk takers, and who acknowledges the expertise, celebrates the successes, and honors the lives of others; and
- a life-long learner who perpetuates self-motivated learning, and resourcefully and effectively seeks dynamic change with continuous monitoring, evaluating, and adjusting.
The candidate must have the ability to:
- cultivate and secure gifts of major and modest size to support TEF’s mission and financial goals
- develop and implement policy and procedures
- interpret data
- plan and manage budgets
- exhibit excellent public relations, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- speak effectively before varied audiences, such as students, parents, staff, and the community
This position includes a full compensation package with health insurance, vacation and PTO. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter with your salary requirements to Cynthia Palacio, Executive Assistant, at CynthiaP@TEF4kids.org by July 31, 2019. This Job Description may be DOWNLOADED.
Torrance Education Foundation an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.